What is self care?
The World Health Organisation defines self care as “the ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and to cope with illness and disability with or without the support of a healthcare provider”, read more by clicking here. For most people, self care means prioritising you, your wellbeing, your mental and physical health to ensure you can be the best version of yourself and live your happiest life. Each individuals definition of self care and happiness can depend on your own circumstances aspirations and definition of happiness. Self care is a personal journey and should be tailored to your needs.
What are examples of self care?
There are many forms of self care that focus on different aspects of your life and well being. The best self care routines incorporate aspects of each and focus on your needs at a specific time. Here are some examples of self care:
- Nourish your Body, cook a healthy meal
- Be Social, call a loved one
- Breath, do a meditation
- Be in Nature, go for a walk
- Feed your Brain, learn something new
- Rest, go to bed early
- Sweat it Out, do a workout
- Feel, take time to express and understand your emotions
What is a good self care routine?
Often recognising what your needs are can be the most difficult part of starting to practice self care. To make this easier, here is a list of 10 thing you can do every day to start a great self care routine:
- Make your bed
- Drink lots of water
- Eat three full meals
- Take a 10 minutes to just breath
- Get some exercise
- Write down three things you are grateful for
- Stop rushing when there is often no need
- Call someone you love
- Go to bed early
Why is self care important?
When we look after ourselves we are better able to support those around us and live positive and fulfilling lives. Being present, meeting your own needs and recognising your emotions allows us to replace negative thoughts with positive ones, feel a sense of self-empowerment and overcome challenges we are faced with. Self care can lead us on a journey of self discovery where you will hopefully realise your own potential, beauty and strength, find peace not anxiety in the unknown and become the best version of yourself.
How to use a Gua Sha Skincare Tool
There is no doubt that Gua Sha and Chinese medicine practices have become hugely popular in recent months, primarily on the TikTok for you page. Like most, we excitedly bought our rose quartz Gua Sha, took it out of its packaging during a nighttime skin routine and then though “huh, how do you do it?” So after some research and a lot of use, we have put together a quick step by step guide on Gua Sha for beginners.
Step by Step
1. Start with your usual cleansing routine
2. It is important not to use the Gua Sha on bare skin so apply some facial oil/cleansing oil or cleansing balm as a lubricant
3. Begin at your neck and then move upwards through the face using the motions in our image below.
4. Don’t repeat any motion more than five times
5. Always pull the tool upwards or horizontally
6. While using the Gua Sha you are stimulating blood flow through the face so it is normal to become slightly red
7. Never use the Gua Sha with enough pressure that it hurts!
Here are some of our favourite TikTok Gua Sha tutorials:
Don't forget to add our Distinct Beauty Gua Sha tool to you Custom Care Box!